TF2 Start up???? WTF

Re: TF2 Start up???? WTF

Postby *FDB*Tenacious D » Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 am

Strong, Strong, Strong....... the thing you're not addressing about the Pyro is his ability to disrupt an opposing team. If you can light several people on the opposing team on fire before you die, you've slowed the other team down and created a little confusion. And it only takes a second to completely BBQ a sniper, spy, or scout. I know I've done it a few times. The Pyro is an effective disruptor and I love disrupting things. :pyro:
*FDB*Tenacious D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 204

Postby Cheez-it » Fri May 01, 2009 7:51 am

Good analysis, Strong. I think you provided a much more detailed analysis here than you did over the mic two nights ago when, if I remember correctly, you were just listing every class when Kia asked about what to play. I do remember you pushing soldier pretty hard though. The next time we're both on, I'd like to get some one-on-one instruction from you about playing some of the other classes. When I have a bad night playing Spy and I switch to another class, I am usually last place on my team with points... Except when Pixie's on. She doesn't watch her back very much.
Cheez-it
Lackey
Lackey

Postby *FDB*Tenacious D » Fri May 01, 2009 7:53 am

Cheez-it wrote:Good analysis, Strong. I think you provided a much more detailed analysis here than you did over the mic two nights ago when, if I remember correctly, you were just listing every class when Kia asked about what to play. I do remember you pushing soldier pretty hard though. The next time we're both on, I'd like to get some one-on-one instruction from you about playing some of the other classes. When I have a bad night playing Spy and I switch to another class, I am usually last place on my team with points... Except when Pixie's on. She doesn't watch her back very much.

That's interesting Cheez-it because Spy is the only class that I'm truly lost with. Go figure. :ROFL:
*FDB*Tenacious D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2K2ia » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am

I just figured Strong was telling me the class to choose that would be easiest for him to kill as a sniper (not that killing me would be that difficult with the way I play at the moment... :ROFL: )

I found the Solider easiest to work with, however was a little surprised when I hit someone dead on with a rocket, and they didn't die (no health pack or medic near by).... I realize its a game, and not 100% realistic, however you would think even in a game, a rocket to the temple would be enough...
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Postby Cheez-it » Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 am

A crit rocket would most likely do the trick there. I'll kritzkrieg you next time I see you in-game!
Cheez-it
Lackey
Lackey

Postby StrongMAD » Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 am

Kia: Try to learn the juggle-kill - one rocket at their feet throws them into the air, and then your next one lands where they do, or if you're feeling flashy you can shotgun them in mid-air.

Cheez: Any time I'm on I can show you a few tricks and tips. This goes for anyone, too. The thing to try and learn first is the advanced movement: Rocket jumps, demo jumps, scout double-jump (hold it for when a soldier hits you so you can change direction and not get hit by the second rocket) etc etc.

Ten: True, but as a spy I can do the same thing, go invisible and have people chase me for a couple of minutes to slow a whole team down. The pyro, however, just gets a soldier to spin around, 2 rockets and he's gone.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Your Hero Jed » Fri May 01, 2009 11:20 am

StrongMAD wrote: The pyro, however, just gets a soldier to spin around, 2 rockets and he's gone.

then you reflect the rockets into the group.
Fresh out of batteries, but we're still making noise.Image
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Postby Pixie » Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 pm

Wow wow wow. I hear a lot of trash talking here, and yet I see little proof on the server. I may not be on much this weekend - family in town - but when I do, I will begin the dominating again. I have been going easy on y'all - didn't want to scare you away (it's like playing dodgeball with Kindergartners!), but it looks like I will take off the easy gloves and get to work! :pokeyaeye:

And Kia, I tend to agree, in general with Strong on the class analysis, except that Pyro can be decent at times. I agree with Ten (I know, could be a first...) in that is causes a disruption. This is especially useful getting them to chase you when there is an uber - they chase you instead of taking out a sentri or tele or whatnot. However, you have to learn to move fast and do the little tricks pyro's have (reflecting, shot gun, flare gun when you get it, and even ax if you are close and behind someone.)
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
-Jack Handey
Pixie
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 pm

I whole heartedly disagree with Strong about the Pyro. I'm actually wondering where his sudden intense dislike of them came from,as,he may deny it, but he only recently started the constant tirades against them. I think he must have gotten burned somehwere down the line. ( pun intended!).
Of course, my fondness of the Pyro comes mainly from the fact that I consider myself good with only two classes, the Pyro and the Engie.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StrongMAD » Fri May 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Well, what sets me off is this: It's a disease of the mind. People think that pyros work, when they just don't.

Can you think of a single good pyro you've ever met? One who really turns a game around? I can think of them for any other class - SF_Paul as demoman, boom as a soldier, most people as a medic, many engineers, inconspicuous as a spy, some arrogant british guy as a sniper, Grash as a scout. Every other class, I see people able to turn a game around, or at least be a vital component of the team, but pyros just seem like cannon fodder.

Again, this is anecdotal, but I've noticed that my team almost always wins when we have no pyros, and almost always loses when we have more than 2 pyros. If you look at the stats on our server, of the top 10 players only one of them plays pyro most often, and he's 10th. Of the rest, for most of them they've played it less than 10 times compared to 70-80 for soldier/demo/scout etc. This trend extends as we go to the top 15, in case anyone thinks I cherry-picked the top 10 (I could have done top 5, in which case the pyro statistics are even more dire).

Even the sniper rifle has more kills than the flamethrower, despite being used less than half as often. Rocket launcher has twice the kills of the flamethrower, equal to the backburner and flamethrower combined, yet the soldier is played less often. For the airblast: Out of all the pyros on the server, we have had precisely 26 reflected rocket kills, and 3 reflected pipebombs. This is LESS than the number of taunt kills, and attempted far more often. And half of those were me, trying to work out how to use the damned thing properly. So, with 9675 rocket kills, we'll assume (heavily in favor of the pyro) that 1/9 of those kills are on pyros. In reality it's probably far higher, given how many of them there are, but let's go easy on them. So, for about 1100 rockets that killed pyros, 26 reflected - about 1 in 40. And that is HEAVILY skewing the numbers in the pyro's favor. Wouldn't you rather be the one holding the rocket launcher?

If you watch any competitive TF2 matches, you'll see pyros used once in a blue moon. The team staples are medic, demo, soldiers and scouts (in that order) with occasional use of really good spies and snipers, and engineers/heavies thrown in to replace the scouts on defense maps. I know it isn't exactly the same as playing on a pub server, but it does indicate that the pyro just can't cut it when it comes to playing with really good players.

I'll end this little rant (and I apologize if you think I'm going off on one here, but I did want to explain WHY I think about pyros the way I do) with a challenge: To those of you who play pyro, spend a week where every time you're tempted to choose pyro you go with the soldier instead. Give it the time to learn how to time your rockets, juggle your enemies, manage your ammunition (you now have to reload!) and even rocket jump a little. I'm betting at least some of you will never look back.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby BigD » Fri May 01, 2009 3:40 pm

StrongMAD wrote:Can you think of a single good pyro you've ever met? One who really turns a game around?

..you mean besides Majik, Tenacious & myself ?!? :OneEye:
BigD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Fri May 01, 2009 11:26 pm

BigD wrote:
StrongMAD wrote:Can you think of a single good pyro you've ever met? One who really turns a game around?

..you mean besides Majik, Tenacious & myself ?!? :OneEye:

See, I didn't even have to answer :Sunny:
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2K2ia » Sat May 02, 2009 11:25 am

*****UPDATE, NEED SOME ADVISE BEFORE GETTING PISSED AND BUYING NEW PC***** :):):)

Anyway, We hooked the wifes machine up with updates and installs last night, and after screwing things up a little, was able tot get CSS working fine.

Then we went to TF2, and its very choppy when playing... I lowered the video settings to the lowest even though the game recomended high settings, and it was still bad.

The PC is a P4 2.4ghz, 1 gig RAM, and the Video Card is an ATI AGP Radeon X700.

The biggest issue is the drivers on the video card are very old, and I tried to update them, but the games would crap out after the update. I could get into the game, however when I would start to connect to a server it would crash with the following error:

engine error failed to lock index buffer in cmeshdx8 lockindexbuffer

I have checked google and stems site, and tried their sugestions, it appears its the drivers as when I roll back to the old drivers it will load and play, but again, its very choppy.

Any ideas???
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Postby pesetas » Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 pm

It's the ram Kia. CSS just isn't the resource hog that TF2 is. You can find some cfgs out there that might help some but the bottom line is you need to invest in some ram...
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Previous

Return to Team Fortress 2