TF2 Start up???? WTF

TF2 Start up???? WTF

Postby 2K2ia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:18 am

ok, so I booted up and updated my Steam and games (as well as defraged the game files), and I gotta ask, did my PC become a bigger piece of s#%t or is it this game?

It took me almost 10 min to "load" the game. I am talking after updates and reboot, just Launching the game sat there thinking, then finally the TF2 splash screen came up with loading in the right corner and sat there for another 5-10 min.,

CSS came up much quicker, but for some reason both would lock up a little when the start of a new match... (For instance on CSS when I hit B to get some weapons, I would have a repeat of whatever sound happened at the time, and just lock up for a min.)

Is this just me, or is this game a resource hog?
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Re: TF2 Start up???? WTF

Postby pesetas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:33 am

It's much more graphically demanding than css. Hope you have plenty of RAM and a decent graphics card....you might have to tweak some of your launch and in-game options if you have a low end machine...

I ended up getting a Nvidia 8800 series and 4 gigs of RAM just so I wouldn't have issues. My machine still heats up like a mother though...

Evidently Big D is the main techno nerd now though...with his glow in the dark headset and 200 gigs of RAM...b**** :UmmmHmm:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby 2K2ia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:00 am

Manufacturer:
NVIDIA
Processor:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory:
1022MB RAM
Hard Drive:
120 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Monitor:
NEC LCD1512
Sound Card:
Realtek AC97 Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

This is what I have currently. The card isnt the best, however its half way decent.
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Postby BigD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 am

Kia, ram is going to be your biggest problem. You will need lots more of it. If that dosent work, pick up a pair of these. http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/r ... acuda-hp1/ It'll solve all your problems including but not limited to; continuously pwning Pesetas; Tenacious D; Pixie and the occasional "Domination" of StrongMad himself. Yep....believe it!
BigD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby 2K2ia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 am

BigD wrote:Kia, ram is going to be your biggest problem. You will need lots more of it. If that dosent work, pick up a pair of these. http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/r ... acuda-hp1/ It'll solve all your problems including but not limited to; continuously pwning Pesetas; Tenacious D; Pixie and the occasional "Domination" of StrongMad himself. Yep....believe it!

Man are you telling me that 1 gig of RAM is no longer enough to handle a video game?

Maybe I don't want to start PC gaming again... lol
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Postby Cheez-it » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 am

BigD wrote:...It'll solve all your problems including but not limited to; continuously pwning Pesetas; Tenacious D; Pixie and the occasional "Domination" of StrongMad himself. Yep....believe it!

Wow, this is the second thread in which I've seen BigD mention 'Dominating' StrongMAD. Still no proof though, did anybody witness this first-hand? Additionally, should we (FDB's) brag about pwning Pixie? I thought anybody with TF2 and an internet connection could do that...
Cheez-it
Lackey
Lackey

Human Verification: 204

Postby Majik » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm

1 gig RAM is minimum nowadays.
I need those headphones!
Bragging rights is always included in membership to FDB, CHeez!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Cheez-it wrote:Additionally, should we (FDB's) brag about pwning Pixie? I thought anybody with TF2 and an internet connection could do that...

Oh SNAP!
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby BigD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:01 pm

Cheez-it wrote: Additionally, should we (FDB's) brag about pwning Pixie? I thought anybody with TF2 and an internet connection could do that...

:icon32: :ROFL: :Cheers:
BigD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby BigD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Cheez-it wrote: Still no proof though, did anybody witness this first-hand? ..

I suggest you get it staight from the horses mouth. Why do you think he hasn't responded to any of my harassing posts lately?!? :Smokin:
BigD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby *FDB*Tenacious D » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Hey Kia, I wouldn't put 1 Gb of RAM in your grandmother's machine. :ROFL:

Welcome to the new milennium, dude! You need at least 2 Gb's of RAM, but 4 would be even better, like BigD said.
*FDB*Tenacious D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 2K2ia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:15 pm

*FDB*Tenacious D wrote:Hey Kia, I wouldn't put 1 Gb of RAM in your grandmother's machine. :ROFL:

Welcome to the new milennium, dude! You need at least 2 Gb's of RAM, but 4 would be even better, like BigD said.

Well then I am screwed becuase I am too cheap to upgrade my PC... :)
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Postby StrongMAD » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:58 pm

I used to play just fine on a 2800+ Athlon, Geforce 6600 GT and 1 gig of ram. Just turn all your settings down at it'll work fine. Look for high fps configs on google if necessary.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby pesetas » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:14 pm

StrongMAD wrote:I used to play just fine on a 2800+ Athlon, Geforce 6600 GT and 1 gig of ram. Just turn all your settings down at it'll work fine. Look for high fps configs on google if necessary.

I agree with Strong however since you've got a fairly decent card and RAM is cheap...20 bucks a stick or less...grab some Kia and you'll notice a marketable difference!
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby StrongMAD » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:23 am

I do not recall what BigD is talking about. Perhaps he was smoking up with Boobytrap sometime?
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby 2K2ia » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:54 am

Well I was able to get up and running for a little while last night, but had to cut it short as the wife wants to be able to play as well, however it doesn't appears we have a PC that will run it.

I have an old P4 2.4 with 1 gig of RAM and a decent AGP video card, not sure if she will run the game, but turned it on for the first time last night in a year or so and a fan was making some nasty noise. Need to troubleshoot that one :)

We found out her laptop isn't even going to think about running that game, but that doesn't surprise me.. lol

Was fun last night guys, I will try and make a few more appearances hopefully a little earlier in the evening...

What time do we usually start showing up now a days?
2K2ia
Lackey
Lackey

Postby pesetas » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

I'm usually the 1st one on since I have to bed down so early. I get on there around 7:30 or 8:00. Mostly once I get on there a couple of people will trickle in until the server fills up later...
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:24 pm

I hop on when I'm feeling up to it and see people on the server.It's usually a couple of Ps I see, Pes and Pixie.......
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cheez-it » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 pm

I usually get on (when I can) after I've fed/walked my dogs, my boy is asleep for the night, and I've done my usual nightly chores (cleaning, dishes, etc.) - sometime after 9PM Eastern. I saw you last night, Kia, and it's fun to play with a new person that's also new to the game. I would suggest ignoring StrongMAD's suggestions on class choice, he usually has nine answers for what would work best in a given situation [10, if you include spectator! :RubberNecker: ].

I play on a machine that I bought back in 2004 with a 3.2 Ghz P4, 1 gig of RAM, and an ancient RADEON 9200 AGP card. I still get some decent kills when there are enough noobs on our server, so please play as much as possible!
Cheez-it
Lackey
Lackey

Postby StrongMAD » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Oh Cheez-it, I normally only have a couple of rules: Play what suits the team (got 4 heavies? play medic!) and avoid the pyro like the plague that it is. If you want to really learn one or two classes, the top ones are:

1) Scout. He looks weak, but once you learn to dodge and aim fast, you'll take down anyone.
2) Soldier. Learn to rocket jump and you'll find he does a lot of damage
3) Demoman. Hard to learn, but is a death machine when you get good at it.

Side note: Medics are ALWAYS useful. But I personally don't find it that much fun as you spend too long sitting around healing other people instead of fighting yourself.

Snipers and spies are specific skill sets that are very situation dependent. In the right place a good sniper or spy can destroy a team, and hold them up. But sadly they're both glass cannons - one hit or so and they die, and once people know where you are, you've got a very limited life expectancy.

Heavy is very useful again in some situations, but normally he's just too slow to make a big difference. Engineers can make a difference, but again, I find it's too much sentry-humping and not enough fighting, so it's no fun.

Pyro: I've no idea why you'd want to set someone on fire and have them limp away to a healthpack/medic instead of stick a rocket inside them and watch them explode. For up close damage, the heavy is king, then soldier. Even the scout does more damage per second than the pyro (2-3 scattergun hits, or 2 FaN kills almost anyone). For ambushing, the spy kills quicker, cleaner and can get away easier, and also has the cloak/disguise advantage for setting up the ambush.
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2