TF2 Map request sticky thread.

TF2 Map request sticky thread.

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Guys (and gals),

Do we have a map request thread that we could sticky? Maybe we can come up with one new map once a week? Maybe have a night we try a couple of new maps? Just an idea to throw around.

Maps can be found at the following: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps Look under TF2 and expand categories browse the various payload, cp, ctf, etc... find one you are interested in and post it in the thread for review.

A simple format with a link to the map so that it can be downloaded as well as the reason you would like to try it.

Example:

Map: cp_glacier_b2
Link: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/101085
Reason: The map touts itself as an arctic gravel pit. Thus far it has received a 9.3/10 and many favorable comments.

Simple format. Thoughts?

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Re: TF2 Map request sticky thread.

Postby MacK » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:56 pm

I like the idea... usually I would stick on like a dozen at a time, but that was a bit too much new content at once. One at a time, once a week is a good idea. That would allow us time to become accustom to the map and verify that it doesn't crash our server...
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby *FDB*Hakko » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Now that one looks like fun!
lamaramal.wordpress.com
*FDB*Hakko
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:11 pm

It DOES look fun.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pixie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:08 am

Yeah! I love it!
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
-Jack Handey
Pixie
White Collar
White Collar

Postby AdmiralBumbleBee » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Guys, PLEASE DO NOT ADD GLACIER!

Some people, like myself, who do not have graphics cards with a specific instruction used for the ice/water can not play glacier. It drops the fps down to 5-10, and its unplayable. It also causes tf2 to randomly crash.

Every time glacier pops up it's an issue on most servers. I beg of you, please do not add it.

Though, It'd be nice to add this toy fort http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Tea ... _Map;84631
So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it.
AdmiralBumbleBee
Cog
Cog

Postby Aunt Jemima » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:24 am

AdmiralBumbleBee wrote:Guys, PLEASE DO NOT ADD GLACIER!

Some people, like myself, who do not have graphics cards with a specific instruction used for the ice/water can not play glacier. It drops the fps down to 5-10, and its unplayable. It also causes tf2 to randomly crash.

Every time glacier pops up it's an issue on most servers. I beg of you, please do not add it.

Though, It'd be nice to add this toy fort http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Tea ... _Map;84631

Are you on a sm 2.5 card? I am game for taking all variables into consideration...just curious.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby AdmiralBumbleBee » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 am

Aunt Jemima wrote:
AdmiralBumbleBee wrote:Guys, PLEASE DO NOT ADD GLACIER!

Are you on a sm 2.5 card? I am game for taking all variables into consideration...just curious.

I'm on an ati HD 2400 (gah!) or a 8800gt M. Both average >80fps easily for other maps. Not exactly amazing cards, but more than enough for a big firefight under the bridge on 2fort.

It seems to be a problem with a dx9 instruction that is not supported by some drivers/cards. There's another ice map that causes the problem as well, but I can't remember the name.
AdmiralBumbleBee
Cog
Cog

Postby Aunt Jemima » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:59 am

Yeah I actually played Glacier the other night. It was the b1 version, but I was not overly impressed. 12 on 12 it would be great, but I was playing 6 v 6 and it was kinda lame.

What is the difference between the toy fort we have and the one you posted a link too? For some reason I thought we had b2.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby AdmiralBumbleBee » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Aunt Jemima wrote:What is the difference between the toy fort we have and the one you posted a link too? For some reason I thought we had b2.

It's a completely different map. Same theme, different map. Same author as well I think.

I'm hoping I linked to the correct one.

--- edit ---

Nope, I linked to the wrong one!

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Tea ... v30;100070

This toy fort is far better than the one on FDB currently. The map flow and choke points are better thought out and it has a lot more fun spots for demo camping and SGs. Also has a lot of high ground for snipers and spying on it is a real challenge.
AdmiralBumbleBee
Cog
Cog

Postby pesetas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:39 am

MacK wrote:I like the idea... usually I would stick on like a dozen at a time, but that was a bit too much new content at once. One at a time, once a week is a good idea. That would allow us time to become accustom to the map and verify that it doesn't crash our server...

I echo what Mack says here and reiterate the concern that some folks rigs may just not handle some maps. Not to sound prudish but we want everyone to enjoy the fun on our server. That said we can test maps based on suggestions and if they run well...we keep em.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 am

After getting a few map requests, what would you folks think about a map test night? Load up maybe three or four and get on as a group and try them out, then we could posts our opinion and decide yay or nay on them?
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 am

Majik wrote:After getting a few map requests, what would you folks think about a map test night? Load up maybe three or four and get on as a group and try them out, then we could posts our opinion anddecide yay or nay on them?

Great idea!
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby *FDB*Tenacious D » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Majik wrote:After getting a few map requests, what would you folks think about a map test night? Load up maybe three or four and get on as a group and try them out, then we could posts our opinion and decide yay or nay on them?

That sounds good to me too, Maj.
*FDB*Tenacious D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pixie » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:55 pm

That sounds Fatabulous Maj! My vote is a yes to this idea!
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
-Jack Handey
Pixie
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Aunt Jemima » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:03 pm

Map test night sounds sexy....hope I can make it with the crazy job.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Oblomov » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:32 pm

Majik wrote:After getting a few map requests, what would you folks think about a map test night? Load up maybe three or four and get on as a group and try them out, then we could posts our opinion and decide yay or nay on them?

Awesome idea. Just tell me when!
Oblomov
Cog
Cog

Return to Team Fortress 2