Computer build

Re: Computer build

Postby MacK » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:11 pm

The new i5 and i7 cores beat everything out there by AMD at the moment. I wouldn't call myself a fanboy of either brand - in all honesty, I switch between AMD and Intel as well as Nvidia and ATI (AMD). I go for the biggest bang for the buck, and right now it's the i5/7.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby Majik » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:39 am

LOL Hakko,
I remember when those thigs were cosnidered screaming fast!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TyraeL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Pes the parts you picked are good...my concern is you need a few more things,i whouldent go with your old stock gateway case...considering your a gamer. them new parts will put off alot of heat and you will need good cooling,and if your going to overclock you really need a case with better airflow. Make sure you tie and plan out your wiring. If you leave them free it looks like crap and will hurt airflow there for adding to overheating probs. Another thing you want to get is an aftermarket cpu cooler stock ones are bad for normal running let alone overclocking..you prob sit at 60c stock easy...spend like 30 bucks your cpu will be at 20-30c easy. Just my 2 cents :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103065 an awsome cooler for ie
TyraeL
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Postby pesetas » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:56 am

More great advise, thanks Tyrael. I added that cooler to my list. So one more question that really concerns me.

I've read several different opinions on this and the consensus is that I won't have a problem using that OEM Windows 7 for System Builders as long as I just use it in my main pc. I can't see paying an additional 50 bucks for the retail version if it is the same product. I know that the OEM version basically 'marries' the OS to your mobo so that can be an issue if you change things around too much in the future. Any thoughts?
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby TyraeL » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:48 pm

tbh id just torrent it save the money :P
TyraeL
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Your Hero Jed » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:13 pm

On the OEM I've changed everything but my graphics and harddrive and it popped up saying i needed to register so I called M$ and they gave me the code no problems.
Fresh out of batteries, but we're still making noise.Image
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Postby MacK » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:47 pm

OEM will be fine. Never ever had a problem loading it on actually multiple PCs.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby {OF}MillerTime » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 am

I'm with Mack on that. I only use the OEM versions.
{OF}MillerTime
Lackey
Lackey

Postby pesetas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:49 am

Groovy, then OEM it is. I really appreciate everyones input!
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby pesetas » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:10 am

Well I'm very excited! I ordered the guts for my new rig just now AND based on your sound advice (and the gift card I got from Mom) I added this case to the mix. I decided to go with a full tower so that I have plenty of room to work in there and options for additional cooling. Wish me luck on my first build.

http://www.amazon.com/ZERO-Crafted-Stee ... _rhf_p_t_1
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby TyraeL » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:14 pm

good case
TyraeL
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Majik » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:16 pm

There really is no difference between retail and OEM.
I would say over the past 10 years or so I have loaded windows a good 500+ times. If there ever is a problem you end up calling MS like Jed said and they give you a new code.
I haven't bought Vista or Windows 7 ( I just have a phobia about saying 7 by itself!) but back in the day you didn't even need to buy the OEM, you could buy the upgrade version and still do a complete fresh install. All you had to do was insert a windows cd when it needed to verify you owned a previous version to qualify to use an upgrade.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Very exciting! I got a box of goodies from Newegg today. Just waiting for my case from Amazon and I'm in business. Reading the mobo manual is kind of overwhelming...I think I'm going to go with one of those step by step builders guides on the net...
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:19 pm

1: Get case
2: screw in motherboard
3: thermal paste then processor
4:install hard drives cd/dvd/blue ray drives
5: install any remaining peripherals
6: install OS disk and run
7: install all drivers and service packs and updates.
8: connect broadband connection.
9:Contact all FDB that you wanna kick some a**
10: kick a**
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacK » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 am

To save a little time, I would screw down MBD after installing processor, heatsink and memory, but other than that pretty straight forward to build.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 pm

Yeah looks pretty simple from what you guys say and what I've seen on line. BIOS seems a bit daunting but I'm going to hold off on over-clocking for the time being until I get the hang of things. The case should be here today so by Sunday morning I hope to be elbow deep in pc guts!

edit: Holy cow! I just got my case. It is a MONSTER! Absolutely friggin huge. I'm going to have to figure out a place to put this beast...
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:05 pm

MacK wrote:To save a little time, I would screw down MBD after installing processor, heatsink and memory, but other than that pretty straight forward to build.

Good point Mack!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Well the beast is built and I am obviously online. Need to dl some drivers and what not but this was an awesome project. This pc absolutely screams! I'll be back with temp results after I install steam and some games. Thanks to all of you for your advice!
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Great it went well! I always love building a new box. I have got to be in the 1000's of boxes I have built since I first got into it. I remember one job I had to build 25 a day for about 4 days for a local college. Those were the days when I played with hardware all day long.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 am

Well all 4 cores after playing 2 hours of BFBC2 ranged from 37-47 degrees C. Not bad I think. I need to find some software that will monitor both the gpu and cpu under load. I was using speedfan but not sure if it is compatible with windows 7. Anyone? Nvidia used to have a system monitor but I can't find it on their site anymore.
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware & Software