freeing up space

freeing up space

Postby *FDB*Hakko » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:35 am

My steam folder has over 30 gigs of info. This is way too much! Under the E:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps folder I have all these files ending in .gcf and .ncf which total 18 gigs What are these? Is it safe to delete?
lamaramal.wordpress.com
*FDB*Hakko
White Collar
White Collar

Re: freeing up space

Postby Majik » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:26 am

No idea. I'd post that question on the Steam forum.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:00 am

Those file extensions indicate that they're just Steam local files. Most likely, if you delete them, Steam will just download them again once you open a particular game again. If you have some Steam games that you no longer play such as HL2, you might want to delete those games from your game list and defrag your local files. That should clear up some space...
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:57 am

Those are the base files that Steam downloads for any game. In fact, if you copy them to the same folder on another machine, that will save you the downloading time for whatever steam games they go to. Anyhow, you really can't delete them. If you uninstall some of the steam games on your machine, it will remove those files.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby *FDB*Hakko » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I already uninstalled/deleted all mods other than the ones I bought. I got enough deleted that I was able to defrag my drives. PC is running better now.
lamaramal.wordpress.com
*FDB*Hakko
White Collar
White Collar

Return to Hardware & Software