Router opinions wanted

Router opinions wanted

Postby Majik » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Is there really any performance difference between this:
Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21607450&searchString=router&category_Id=null

and this:Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/sku.jsp?skuId=21607478&searchString=router&category_Id=null

since this is for home use and I will be wired and the wireless would mainly be for wifes,though she is trying to get me to move upstairs,in which case my gaming would be wireless........
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Router opinions wanted

Postby Your Hero Jed » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Usually the Gigabit is for the ethernet connection, giving a faster transfer rate when plugged in if you have a card in the machine that is also gigabit capable. The only recomendation i give when going wireless is beware of wet-walls. They will destroy a signal.
Fresh out of batteries, but we're still making noise.Image
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Postby StrongMAD » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Also, check your angles - a line from the router to your computer should be perpendicular to any walls, not parallel. That way the perceived wall depth is the minimum. What Jed says is true about Gigabit being fast, but unless you've got some amazing internet connection, the bottleneck is going to be further up the line, so I don't think it would matter too much. From the descriptions I can't see many differences between the two.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby *FDB*Tenacious D » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:45 am

Yeah, I think they've started packaging these routers and making them sound like you'll get better performance, but I think they're full of it. I'd go with the cheaper one.
*FDB*Tenacious D
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 204

Postby *FDB*LoKi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I run 2 linksys routers, the main being a wrt54gs and the other is for my vonage. The great thing about this linksys router is I have flashed the bios on it with another prog that opens the router up alot. The flash is with DD-WRT. Google it! It gives a ton more options that lets you take over the router. Hope this might be helpful.
The World is an unexplained sense of malfunction and destruction, but I'm glad to witness it!
*FDB*LoKi
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby MacK » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:47 pm

I am running DD-WRT on a couple Belkin routers here. My recommendation - stay away from Belkin. Lots of problems.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby Harris » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Well first off id say make sure that your wireless card supports n if you want to get those routers. If your card only supports G you can save some money and a get a G router. My recommendation is that you take mack's advice and google dd-wrt and flash the bios if the router is supported.
"Being in the army is like being in the Boy Scouts, except that the Boy Scouts have adult supervision"
Harris
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Return to Hardware & Software