laptop HELP!!!

laptop HELP!!!

Postby pesetas » Sat May 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Hey my wife's laptop took a sh**. Any suggestions are appreciated! Here are the symptoms...

Replaced her battery about 3 weeks ago. Everything been running fine either plugged in or on battery. Last night she plugged in to the charger and this morning everything is dead. The geek at Staples tested it with his power plug and said for some reason the thing won't power up. Of course he wants to sell us a new laptop so he wouldn't even begin to diagnose the problem...

Anyway, gonna do some googling about it now but in the mean time if anyone has any suggestions...pm me!
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Re: laptop HELP!!!

Postby MacK » Sat May 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Take the battery out and plug in the power cord. Try to start it several times with the battery out. What brand/model is it?
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby pesetas » Sat May 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Yeah, tried that Mack. It's a Gateway M250e. I'm thinking it must be the power supply socket or the mobo...
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm

I would think that if it's the power port then it would work with the battery. If you can get it to start with a battery ( I'd see if the place you just got a new battery from would let you the one) then you need to get the power port repaired.

I don't know what the going rate there is, but I usually tell people $250, but the guy I get to do it charges me $125.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Mon May 11, 2009 6:55 am

Yeah...before I get all crazy about this I'll look up some local puter shops. If it were a desktop I wouldn't be so daunted but I've not worked on a laptop before...too many damn screws!
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Falqon » Mon May 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Majik's right, find a way to try a battery with some juice.

Don't spend a dime until you do that, if it turns out to be the mobo and not the power connecter then it will likely not be worth repairing.
Falqon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Human Verification: 204

Postby pesetas » Mon May 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Roger that. As cheap as laptops are now I think we're just gonna order her a new one and salvage what we can off of the hd. Thanks for all your input!
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Your Hero Jed » Mon May 11, 2009 6:03 pm

New egg sells cheap enclosures for laptop hdds
Fresh out of batteries, but we're still making noise.Image
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese