Freeware Palooza!

Freeware Palooza!

Postby magedrifter » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:43 pm

So just to keep this short, I havnt seen a thread similar to this around, so I thought wth. Anyways if you know of some good freeware programs that you would like to share, then by all means post them here. So Ill start with a few I found browsing the internet ...

AoA Audio Extracter

Simply a program that rips audio from videos and converts them to wav or mp3. There is a free version and a platinum version. The platinum includes a few extras, but I find the free version is good for what it is. I use it often -_^

Auslogics Disk Defrag

One of the fastest disk defraggler imo, very simple to use, and a good download if you want to keep your computer in tip top shape, and have it perform a lil faster. One of the programs I often use on a daily basis

Mihov Picture Downloader

Very useful program when you need to download multiple pictures off of a site, takes the work out of clicking each thumbnail and using "save as" all the time. I tried it with success. Very simple, fast and easy to use. -_^

MWSnap

A screen capture program, and a very good one -_^ Features Listed Below ...

"taken from the site"

Features :

- 5 snapping modes.
Support for BMP, JPG, TIFF, PNG and GIF formats, with selected color depth and quality settings.
- System-wide hotkeys.
- Clipboard copy/paste.
- Printing.
- Auto-saving, auto-printing.
- Auto-start with Windows.
- Minimizing to system tray.
- An auto-extending list of fixed sizes, perfect for snapping images for icons and glyphs.
- A zoom tool for magnifying selected parts of the screen.
- A ruler tool for measuring screen objects lengths.
- A color picker showing screen colors with separated RGB parts.
- Fast picture viewer.
- Adding frames and mouse pointer images.
- Multilevel configurable undo and redo.
- Multilingual versions.
- Configurable user interface.
- And more...

Fast Stone Photo Resizer

FastStone Photo Resizer is an image converter / resizer intended to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermarks to images in a quick and easy batch mode. Drag and Drop mouse operation is well supported. <---- (copied from the website) Couldn't have said it better myself, it does exactly what it sais it does -_^
magedrifter
Cog
Cog

Human Verification: 204

Re: Freeware Palooza!

Postby magedrifter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:00 pm

n Vienna Sidebar

Easily one of the best sidebar's around, with shortcuts to many of the most used windows programs and info on memory usage, including shortcuts to log and turn off the computer, as well as it's transparent look, I think it's a shoe in and a must add.
magedrifter
Cog
Cog

Postby MacK » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Cool apps - I have used several of those. I have a few to add to the list later... My first addition is this:

Notepad++
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

The single best notepad replacement out there. I use this thing for everything text based file I ever work with (XML, HTML, CFG, SQL, etc... the list of languages goes on and on)

Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.

Based on a powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is trying to reduce the world carbon dioxide emissions. When using less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a greener environment.

This project is mature. However, there may be still some bugs and missing features that are being worked on. If you have any questions or suggestions about this project, please post them in the forums. Also, if you wish to make a feature request, you can post it there as well. But there's no guarantee that I'll implement your request.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby magedrifter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:00 am

7Zip

For a free compression/extracting tool, its pretty darn useful and very easy to use, and to top it off, it's free.

(copied from the site itself) :

- High compression ratio in new 7z format with LZMA compression
Supported formats:
- Packing / unpacking: 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR
- Unpacking only: ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z.
- For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
- Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
- Self-extracting capability for 7z format
- Integration with Windows Shell
- Powerful File Manager
- Powerful command line version
- Plugin for FAR Manager
- Localizations for 74 languages
magedrifter
Cog
Cog

Postby MacK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:27 pm

7Zip is awesome - been using it for years!

Here are a couple more good ones:

FileZilla - Awesome free FTP utility
http://filezilla-project.org/

HLSW - Halflife Server management tool - run RCON commands without being in game. Kick and ban folks without starting the game, manage the config, etc. Works on CSS, TF2 and any other HL server variant.

http://www.hlsw.org/
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby Aunt Jemima » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:19 pm

Good tools guys! One I use weekly is CCleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Description from site:

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused and temporary files, allowing Windows to run faster, more efficiently and giving you more hard disk space.

Cleans the following:

* Internet Explorer Cache, History, Cookies, Index.dat.
* Recycle Bin, Temporary files and Log files.
* Recently opened URLs and files.
* Third-party application temp files and recent file lists (MRUs).
* Advanced Registry scanner and cleaner to remove unused and old entries.Including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more... Backup for registry clean.
* Windows Startup tool.

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Great list so far, I use several of the programs mentioned. Truecrypt is an interesting program, it can provide full disk encryption or the creation of encrypted volumes. It can even make "hidden volumes" where a different encrypted volume is displayed depending on what credentials are used. Check it out here http://www.truecrypt.org/.
HK, because you suck, and we hate you.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby magedrifter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:04 am

DVDVideoSoft Free Studio

An all-in-one bundle program of multiple video and audio conversion freeware as well as some programs that let's you d/l youtube videos and converts them to videos, jpgs, and mp3s.
magedrifter
Cog
Cog

Return to Hardware & Software