Server Imaging

Server Imaging

Postby Aunt Jemima » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Currently for my company I am using Kaseya for managing servers and computers in my domains. We have a built in backup module in Kaseya featuring Acronis True Image. It works great for p2p and p2v and HIR (Hardware Independent Restore).

My dilemma is for clients who want server backups, but do not want us to manage their IT operations. These clients will have to outright purchase the backup software and my chronies and I will have to manage it.

I have experience with Storagecraft Shadowprotect which can do P2V,V2P and P2P restores. It can do HIR restores. It can also do synthetic full backups. Price = $899

Acronis 10 can do all of the above minus(to my knowledge) V2P restores and costs $1150

Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Server can do what Acronis can do (apparently) and costs $299

Do you guys have any thoughts? Any suggestions? Any experiences?

I am in the final stages of bringing a 12TB storage server online in my office. This will serve as a means to provide offsite data replication for my customer's backups. Point being I would like my backup software to be able to do long strings of incrementals so that I can patch them together for a synthetic full. I really have most of this fleshed out, but any advice is welcome.

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Re: Server Imaging

Postby Majik » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:22 pm

I don't know if its true, but I have been told Acronis is really a verson of Storagecraft.
I do have ShadowProtect here at home but have not actually used it for a HIR yet, thought I am just waiting to get the funds to get my replacement hard drive to try it.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aunt Jemima » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:23 pm

My satisfaction with acronis has steadily gone down over the years. Shadowprotect pretty much sold me a couple of years ago. They have a great partnership with zenith infotech on a total BDR solution for environments ranging from 1 to 10 servers with east and west cost off site replication. Unfortunately the up front costs now don't permit me to purchase multiple servers at the moment. Although I don't technically handle sales, I am the a**hole that gets called into meetings to explain the technical aspects of the solution and "wow" the customers with the capability. Right now I'm trying to propose a multi tiered BDR system for all budgets. Paragon Drive Backup seems like it could be promising and significantly cheaper, but I'm not sure as I don't know anyone who has used it. Another thing is that If the software is not image based I won't even touch it for enterprise level. I do like Cobian backup (freeware FTW) though for personal use or RSYNC for linux.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:10 am

Shadowprotects HIR restores work beautifully. It is so nice to restore the image to different hardware and not get a BSOD. I am testing out Acronis's HIR at the moment. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:44 am

:DANG:
I just checked my gmail and there was a email from someone telling me Paragon was giving away their software for free for 3 days, However they email was sent 5 days ago :DANG:
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:48 am

LOL! Funny how life works. I downloaded the trial and 90 day extension. Their sales people are real nice lol. I'll probably look into it this afternoon.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:59 am

Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Majik wrote:http://www.paragon-software.com/free/giveaway.html#download

Seeing as it goes for $40 (half the price of SP Desktop) that is a steal. If only it worked on WS2k8 for that price :icon20:

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 pm

I got my Sp 2 liscense for $99 through an offer from Winzip. If you google SP coupons you might find just as go0odd or better!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Hardware & Software