Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud

Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:37 pm

FYI - Check this out. You can create virtual servers in Amazon's cloud extremely cheap. I set up a Windows 2003 Server just now with the click of a few buttons. Each small instance costs about 12 cents an hour. Space is provisioned in 1 GB increments at 10 cents per GB. With the ability to establish VPN's to these servers from your network you could essentially have them host your SQL server applications and all sorts of other cool stuff. It's really amazing where virtual cloud computing will be taking us. You could essentially configure servers for people and rent them out at a markup. Tons of options, performance levels, and server OS's are available:

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Re: Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud

Postby MacK » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 am

Let's see... for a 1GB server, $2.88 per day and $1051 annually. Not sure that is such a great deal especially if you need a lot of space. Of course, there are backup issues, continuity, failover, etc., but to me I really wonder if this is any cheaper than a dedicated server with a few virual servers running on it. Just food for thought.

But - those issues aside, a very cool idea! If they can get it down to like... 2-3 cents an hour, that will rock the world.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby StrongMAD » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 am

That's true,Mack, but you're presuming you need it year round - if you need something to take the extra load for a day or two (or even a few hours) this can be a godsend - pay for it when you need it and leave it when you don't.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Aunt Jemima » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 am

MacK wrote:Let's see... for a 1GB server, $2.88 per day and $1051 annually. Not sure that is such a great deal especially if you need a lot of space. Of course, there are backup issues, continuity, failover, etc., but to me I really wonder if this is any cheaper than a dedicated server with a few virual servers running on it. Just food for thought.

But - those issues aside, a very cool idea! If they can get it down to like... 2-3 cents an hour, that will rock the world.

Lol...I see where you are coming from, but have you ever stored a dedicated server at a data center? There are recurring costs in that venture and you have to maintain your hardware. Food for thought as well.

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Return to Hardware & Software