Linux Mint

Linux Mint

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:44 pm

I just started messing around with this distro today and it's pretty simple. It's based off of debian and is compatible with Ubuntu repositories so there is a ton of stuff that runs on it.
http://www.linuxmint.com

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Re: Linux Mint

Postby pesetas » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Pes, in deep thought, scratches head, adjusts himself...then scratches head again... :Dunce:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:01 pm

I have used Linux mint and I have to say its a great distro for the desktop, especially for people who are looking for something to replace windows. I still generally run Ubuntu or gentoo for servers, but Mint would be close to the top of the list for me for everyday computing.
HK, because you suck, and we hate you.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Aunt Jemima » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Ooooh gentoo is definitely not for the casual user. I do like Ubuntu server. Have you ever used Arch linux? For ease of use I prefer Mint to Ubuntu desktop wise. You might want to check out backtrack if you are into network security, intrusion, packet capturing and the like. I typically use it if I feel like wardriving or having fun at starbucks with some exploit scripts. Backtrack 4 is out in beta I think, but I've only used 3.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:33 pm

No, have never tried Arch, maybe I will fire up virtualbox and throw it on there. And I love back track. Wireshark and wifizoo FTW! I used it at school for session hijacking, it was great. I have just begun to try BSD, which is quite interesting.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby pesetas » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Pes still scratching head...re-adjusts...and scratches some more... :DANG:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby *FDB*Hakko » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:11 pm

I used to run my puter on a dual boot with windows 95 and a mandrakes distribution of linux. It was pretty neat till I screwed something up. It's been so long since then that I'd be afraid to install linux again. It looks so foreign to me.
lamaramal.wordpress.com
*FDB*Hakko
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Pixie » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:57 pm

All of that went Straight over my head. If I need computer help, I know where to go, but I'll leave it up to Mack and the likes...
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
-Jack Handey
Pixie
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Aunt Jemima » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:13 pm

Cpt_Obvious wrote:No, have never tried Arch, maybe I will fire up virtualbox and throw it on there. And I love back track. Wireshark and wifizoo FTW! I used it at school for session hijacking, it was great. I have just begun to try BSD, which is quite interesting.

I have never actually used BSD. I know that market penetration wise it is catching up to linux as a web server platform. Do you like it? I'd be interested in firing it up in virtualbox this weekend.

0 rows returned

Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby MacK » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm

I ran redhat and mandrake for a while, but frankly just got tired of Linux. Certainly know my way around, bug just don't like it as a personal OS. For a server - awesome. For a desktop... no thx.

Now, you want to talk about cool OS's that never had their chance - check out BeOS.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Aunt Jemima wrote:
Cpt_Obvious wrote:No, have never tried Arch, maybe I will fire up virtualbox and throw it on there. And I love back track. Wireshark and wifizoo FTW! I used it at school for session hijacking, it was great. I have just begun to try BSD, which is quite interesting.

I have never actually used BSD. I know that market penetration wise it is catching up to linux as a web server platform. Do you like it? I'd be interested in firing it up in virtualbox this weekend.

So far it only differs slightly from Linux, mostly in the terminology they use. For instance a disk partition is called a "slice". I do like it, I especially like OpenBSD, which is supposedly one of the most secure OS's out of the box. BSD seems to have more time between releases than Linux, and as a result it can be more stable than your bleeding edge Linux distros. There are subtle differences that make it worth a try.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Harris » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Personally I stick with ubuntu. Now that I have my laptop back after some of my own detective work and/or just finding the guy and "politely" persuading him to give it back to me, I have loaded my backups on to it and currently trying to figure out where i screwed up setting up wine for cs:s and tf2. Used to have it running real great.
"Being in the army is like being in the Boy Scouts, except that the Boy Scouts have adult supervision"
Harris
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:56 am

Harris,
Congrats on your laptop "recovery".
You need to tell us the details!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Harris » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:25 am

Basically I had a few people tell me that they had seen it up at the local tattoo shop and that the guy who i thought stole it had it in his possession. I went up there acting like i was looking to get another tattoo and when he showed me the flash art on my laptop i knew right then it was mine. I then went to the police and they wouldn't do anything, so i ended up getting him to take me back into the back room again to look at the design one last time before i made up my mind, or so he thought. I then explained to him that he was in possession of stolen property and told him to either return it to me or i would take it back. A little fact about the shops up here in northern maine unless your at walmart usually it will just be the shop owner and you inside pretty much any store as was the case here it was just me and him. To make an already long story a little short things got a little physical but he decided to see things my way and in the end I walked out with my laptop. Then went to the pd to confirm the serial with them just so i could shut the case
"Being in the army is like being in the Boy Scouts, except that the Boy Scouts have adult supervision"
Harris
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby pesetas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:24 am

I hope you kicked the crap out of him. I hate thieves almost as much as I hate liars...and attorneys...

Anyway, glad you got it back. Maybe you should tattoo "thief" on the dude's forehead for all to see.
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Pes, aren't you just repeating yourself when you say thieves,liars and lawyers?
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:20 pm

Majik wrote:Pes, aren't you just repeating yourself when you say thieves,liars and lawyers?

LOL Maj, LOL
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Return to Hardware & Software