New optic technology

New optic technology

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Yeah, you can tell I get excited about weird things here. They are basically able to make light pulses shorter by shifting the frequency of the front of the pulse down and the end of the pulse up, thus allowing even more data to be sent over optical cables. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17867-time-telescope-could-boost-fibreoptic-communication.html

The front of the [data-carrying] pulse is shifted down in frequency and the end is shifted up in frequency within the silicon waveguide," says Foster. Because the speed of light passing through a medium depends on its frequency, the front of the pulse is slowed down while its rear speeds up. At the time lens's focal point the rear of the pulse catches up with the front, producing a fleeting image with a spectrum encoding the entire light pulse.
HK, because you suck, and we hate you.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Human Verification: 204

Re: New optic technology

Postby Majik » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm

gets excited about weird things? oughtta fit right in!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Majik » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:24 pm

gets excited about weird things? oughtta fit right in!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacK » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Thats pretty sweet. Now to see if they can really bring it to market. Way too many cool discoveries like this are cool on paper, but just never make it to fruition.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby StrongMAD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:55 am

Well if 'been around since 1834' counts as new, sure, but we've known about lenses like this for years and years. Polish it a little and call it a 'time telescope' (Wow... just wow...) and you can get the press happy, I guess. Anyone who had a tape recorder capable of 'high speed dubbing' (bring back memories of the 80's anyone?) basically had an analogous thing back then, though I guess they should have called it "Time compressed replication" and gotten a cheap article out of it...
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:10 am

Yes, the article is a bit sensationalist. I understand that the "wave of translation" is an old concept, I think it is just interesting that that they are using an infrared laser and a waveguide to change the frequency of light pulses. And I agree time telescope is a bit much.
HK, because you suck, and we hate you.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Human Verification: 204

Return to Hardware & Software