Power Supplies

Buying, selling, trading and great deals are all found here.

Power Supplies

Postby pesetas » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:34 am

I need a recommendation for a new psu. I currently have a 300 watt,,, I know, I know...

I've seen them up to 1000 watts and all ranges in between. I will be upgrading my graphics card (Nvidia upper range card perhaps) and ram pretty soon so my question is what is a decent wattage power supply.? I was thinking around 500 watt should be good enough...any thoughts...brands...etc...

Oh and are psu a standard size? I want to make sure I have room in my case...I have a full size tower so I don't think that will be an issue.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Re: Power Supplies

Postby Majik » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:59 am

Dont know your machine specs, but 500 should be plenty.
No,they are not all the same size, yet there is pretty much a "standard" size.
Most of them shelf ones are that size.
I myself have been happy with ANtec brand.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacK » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:17 am

To tell the truth on the brand side, I have found few differences between brands. As long as the supply is rated for 500+, I think you should be good. Antec is always a sure bet, but can be pricey. In the thousands of computers I have built and repaired, few times have I had power supply issues that would have been resolved if I had bought a different brand. As for motherboards, video cards, and memory, that is another story.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby pesetas » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks for the response guys. I'd rather pay a few bucks more up front for a good brand. As for the ram, crucial.com seems to have some good prices and they scanned my system to check my mobo and available slots. I also learned interestly that xp will only recognize up to like 3.5 gigs so anything over that is just basically a waste. I'll be adding two sticks to give me 3 gig total. Anyway, I digress..... :Geeky:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:53 am

pesetas wrote:I also learned interestly that xp will only recognize up to like 3.5 gigs so anything over that is just basically a waste. I'll be adding two sticks to give me 3 gig total. Anyway, I digress..... :Geeky:

Actually, that is only partially true. 32bit XP can only manage 4gb (not 3.5), yet 64 bit can handle up to 16gb. Personally, on my next box, I will have a minimum of 4gb, especially considering how low memory prices are these days. On a side note, I have been running XP 64 for nearly 2.5 years and have been totally happy.

Also, here is an interesting blurb from MS technet:

The major differentiator between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows is in memory support. Currently, 32-bit Windows is capable of supporting up to 4 GB of system memory, with up to 2 GB of dedicated memory per process. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will currently support up to 16 GB of RAM, with the potential to support up to 16 TB of virtual memory as hardware capabilities and memory sizes grow.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby pesetas » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 pm

I guess we're both kind of right about the ram. Here's a quote from crucial.com-

The maximum amount of memory that your system can use is actually limited in two ways — not only is there a maximum amount of memory that your computer motherboard can accept, there is also a maximum amount of memory that your operating system (OS) can accept.

For instance, when you install 4GB of memory in a 32-bit Windows system (the most common version; 64-bit systems are typically used only by high-end users), your system will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. Is the problem bad memory?

Relax, there isn't a problem with the memory. Windows allows for 4GB of memory to be addressed, but this isn't 100 percent the same as having 4GB of physical memory.

What happens is that some of the addressable memory (regardless of how much you have physically installed) is reserved for use by page files or by some of the devices that you are using, such as a graphics card, PCI card, integrated network connections, etc., so it's unavailable for use as normal main memory.

At any rate, I think 3 gigs of memory is enough for me and the applications I run. Heck I haven't even paid the dang thing off yet and I'm already upgrading :Thinkin:
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby StrongMAD » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:28 pm

To tell you the truth, I'd go at least 550W if you can. Mainly because the "rating" of a PSU is usually the max burst output, not the continuous output, for some stupid marketing reason. Also if you have a high end GPU, a HDD (or two) a DVD burner etc etc it can all add up, and underpowering stuff can damage it badly.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby pesetas » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Ah, good call Strong. Thank you all for the input. Now time to shop. I'll post my good deals in the future...newegg...here I come!!!
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby *FDB*LoKi » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm loving the HEC 650 watt I got from new egg.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817339003

$69.99

2 fan; 80 mil and a 120 mil; quad pci express cords; quad 12 volt rails; mirrored gun metal casing, etc etc.
The World is an unexplained sense of malfunction and destruction, but I'm glad to witness it!
*FDB*LoKi
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade & Deals