Are all video game allies assholes?

Share your viewpoint - politics and policy: the good, the bad, and the politicians.
Forum rules
The rules are simple: you may not agree, but you can agree to disagree. Vehement altercations will not be tolerated. If you don't know what that means, pull out the old Webster. If you are still struggling, this forum isn't for you.

Are all video game allies assholes?

Postby StrongMAD » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Interesting article in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/13/charlie-brooker-modern-warfare-3

I was thinking back and trying to work out if there ever was a video game in which most of the characters (or at least allies) aren't complete assholes. Outside the usual big hits (maybe Mass Effect qualifies) I could only really think of Psychonauts. However, restricting to militaristic FPS, I have a lot of trouble - Crysis/Far Cry all the allies are assholes, similarly for Doom etc. Maybe the parts where Alyx helps in Half-life could count (she is incredibly annoying, but not actively an a**hole). The only allies that I really actively thought were nice to have in any game were the vortigaunts in Ep.2 but they're only really there for one fight. Oh, and Curly Brace, but that's a hell of a long-shot reference for most people - props to anyone who gets it ;-)

Obviously I can think of characters that are nice, either as the main character (Abe in Oddworld for example) or as NPCs, but anyone else got an AI ally that they actually LIKED?
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Re: Are all video game allies assholes?

Postby *FDB*Hakko » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:42 pm

I didn't think any of the half-life 2 allies were assholes. I obviously don't play enough games to argue the points well though. The last new game I bought was l4d2 and before that was l4d1.

Was nice to see a new post though :)
lamaramal.wordpress.com
*FDB*Hakko
White Collar
White Collar

Re: Are all video game allies assholes?

Postby MacK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Ha! That was a great article. I am with Hakko about the HL2 allies, but agree with much of the premise. Maybe that's why I don't play much anymore. Gaming doesn't hold my attention much anymore... of course, I don't have a lot of time nowadays either.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Return to Ardor of Opinion