Veterans Climb Government Building, Call for Arrest of Bush

Share your viewpoint - politics and policy: the good, the bad, and the politicians.
Forum rules
The rules are simple: you may not agree, but you can agree to disagree. Vehement altercations will not be tolerated. If you don't know what that means, pull out the old Webster. If you are still struggling, this forum isn't for you.

Veterans Climb Government Building, Call for Arrest of Bush

Postby spOOky » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Right Now: Veterans Climb Government Building, Call for Arrest of Bush and Cheney
Impeachment movement challenges Bush at every turn

The enormous banner hanging from the National Archive building... right now!
Right now, five military veterans -- from Veterans for Peace -- are occupying a 35-foot high ledge at the National Archive Building and have raised a 22x8-foot banner reading, "DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION. ARREST BUSH AND CHENEY: WAR CRIMINALS!" The veterans currently risking arrest have declared their intention to stay on the ledge, fasting for 24 hours "in remembrance of those who have perished and those still suffering from the crimes of the Bush administration," according to a written statement.

On the ledge, the veterans have brought with them a portable PA system, and they are broadcasting recorded statements from prominent Americans for the impeachment and/or arrest of George W. Bush and Richard Cheney. Other impeachment activists are at the entrance of the National Archives distributing "Citizens Arrest Warrants" to those waiting in line.

This is the type of boldness that activists have displayed across the country to bring much-needed attention to this movement.

spOOky
Lackey
Lackey

Re: Veterans Climb Government Building, Call for Arrest of Bush

Postby spOOky » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:34 pm

More:

The veterans emphasized they are taking this action because “Bush and Cheney’s serial abuse of the Law of the Land clearly marks them as domestic enemies of the Constitution…they have illegally invaded and occupied Iraq, deliberately destroyed civilian infrastructure, authorized torture, and unlawfully detained prisoners. These actions clearly mark them as war criminals…accountability extends beyond impeachment to prosecution for war crimes even after their terms of office expire.”

“We take this action as a last resort,” their statement added. “For years we have pursued every avenue open to good, vigilant citizens to bring these men to justice, to re-establish the rule of law, and to restore the balance of power described in our Constitution. We are not disturbing the peace; we are attempting to restore the peace. We are not conducting ourselves in a disorderly manner; our action is well-ordered and well-considered. We are not trespassing; we have come to the home of our Constitution to honor our oath to defend it.”
(more)

pg. 2 VFP National Archives action

Those participating are all members of Veterans For Peace and include Elliott Adams: 61, NY, VFP President and former Army paratrooper in Viet Nam; Ellen Barfield: 52, MD, former U.S. Army Sgt., full-time peace and justice advocate; Kim Carlyle: 61, NC, mountain homesteader, former Army Spec 5, 828-626-2572; Diane Wilson: 59, TX, shrimp boat captain, former Army medic, 361-785-4680; Doug Zachary: 58, TX, VFP staff, former USMC LCpl discharged as a conscientious objector, 512-791-9824; and Tarak Kauff (ground support) 67, NY, painting contractor, former U.S. Army Airborne.

Founded in 1985, VFP has 120 chapters throughout the country and has actively protested the Afghanistan and Iraq wars since their inception. Membership includes men and women veterans of all eras and duty stations spanning the Spanish Civil War, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Iraq. VFP is an official Non Governmental Organization (NGO) represented at the UN.

###

"May the innocent find peace; may the dead find grace; may the wounded find healing; may the homeless find shelter; may America find forgiveness; and may justice find the guilty." - Veterans For Peace Ch. 39

spOOky
Lackey
Lackey

Postby spOOky » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:25 am

Nobody has anything to say?

The government is on the verge of stealing 700 billion of your tax payer money and you have nothing to say when these patriots take a stand?

Guess everyone has gotten used to being screwed and lied to.
spOOky
Lackey
Lackey

Postby MacK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 am

Stealing 700 billion?? Now, I have something to say about that. If the government doesn't bail out wallstreet, things here in the US will get much much worse. You think loosing 10-15% this year on your 401k is bad, imagine loosing 95% of its value next year and never being able to recover it. This is what WILL happen if we don't get investor fears quelled. This 700 billion of infusion is designed to calm the storm, and once the markets come back the government will sell the mortgage assets and will recover most of the cost, if not make money. Yeah, I have something to say about that - if the 700 billion bailout doesn't happen, we are all screwed.

As for the commentary about Bush being impeached and arrested. I believe they have made some huge mistakes, and I certainly don't support Mcain to carry the legacy, but I do recognize that there hasn't been another terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11. If you are going to put all of the blame on Bush for Iraq and all the other crap, and there is a lot of it, it should also be fair to put all of the praise on him alike for not having another attack.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby pesetas » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Well now that I've been challenged...

Spooky, you are a propagandist and ditto Mack.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:42 pm

Hey that has a nice ring...

Mack the propagandist.

I could go for PropaMacKist or... MacKagandist.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Knightrider » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Well that is nice spooky. I am all for vets getting their say. I believe The Afghan war was needed. Iraq war not so much, we could have lunched some cruise missiles took out some airfields, depot yards, etc. I'm not going to say that I don't have respect for the men listed in your comment protesting but I have some serious respect and cred to those that have been over in those combat zones(Iraq and Afghan zones) protesting it/supporting it as this is what the protest is about. However I don't see any of them listed. Also like Mack said there is a huge Financial Crisis going on, I for one have lost 47% in my stocks and about 25% of my net assets(my college fund) in this horrible economic event. We need to focus on bailing out wall street and how its done, watching it carefully, and making sure congress does it right. All ready my generation has been shat on and my own kids(that haven't come to being yet) will have to pay for this good old chain of events as we the people through the government are giving a empty blank check for a much needed bail out due to insane stupidity cause by the banks and people. In addition to that the baby boomers are coming up in age, oh so fun for my generation good old Y. I know I'm going to see 50% of my pay sent to taxes. I also know that I'm never going to get Social Security and I also know that over 1/3-1/2 of my capitol gains most likely are going to be taken away from me as a tax. The only thing that can and will save America would be a total tax reform (fair tax), total bail out of the banks, Energy Independence(oil, nuke, Alcohol, Clean coal, Fusion,etc), Specialization of Americas workforce/industries, and getting our Trade Deficit under control.
Too Close for Missiles, switching to guns
Negative Ghostrider, the patterns full

[url=http://ragealliance.eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=323683]
Image[/url]
Knightrider
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby spOOky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 am

oh man I just made a huge post that took me hours to create and your site deleted it and kicked me off. Later.
spOOky
Lackey
Lackey

Postby MacK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:42 am

spOOky wrote:oh man I just made a huge post that took me hours to create and your site deleted it and kicked me off. Later.

Hours? Probably a timeout issue...
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:24 pm

spOOky wrote:oh man I just made a huge post that took me hours to create and your site deleted it and kicked me off. Later.

As far as I know we have not censored anyone on this board, ever.
It was probably what Mack said, you probably timed out.

I certainly respect everyone's right to their own opinion, and I believe that ,at least in this group of people, we do not let differences of opinion affect our friendships.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby spOOky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Oh no, I never thought I was censored or anything....I was just frustrated. I know better not to copy a long post like that before trying to submit it to a forum. My bad. :DANG:

Maybe I'll try again when I get home tonight.
spOOky
Lackey
Lackey

Postby pesetas » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 pm

No, no Mack...Spooky the propagandist...you I agree with thusly the ditto. Personally, I think calling Bush a war criminal is ridiculous which is probably why only a handful of people participated in the hanging of those banners.

We are and have been THE world superpower for quite some time now. The way things are going economically for the US...I say we begin acting more like the superpower we are and less like a friggin charity.

Too bad you got kicked before the article posted Spooky, we would have enjoyed reading it.
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:10 pm

I think we are about to see the worst situation the US has ever been in.
We can blame the republicans, we can blame the democrats, but the real blame goes to you and me, for being sheep while the politicians sink this country into the disaster situation it is in.
I agree Pes, we should be acting like the super power that once were,and can be again, but we need to start at home. We need to do it by leading by example.We need to take care of US.
Sadly though, all you have to do is watch tv for 30 minutes and you will see that we are being forced into the same old same old.
Obama, McCain, two sides of the same coin.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Knightrider » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Well said Maj.
Too Close for Missiles, switching to guns
Negative Ghostrider, the patterns full

[url=http://ragealliance.eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=323683]
Image[/url]
Knightrider
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Postby pesetas » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Majik wrote:Obama, McCain, two sides of the same coin.

Well said Majik!
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Maj - I agree on all points, but especially on the blame falling on our own shoulders, and that of government. This crisis has little to do with the FRS, and more to do with greed. Between our government and the people continuing to borrow borrrow and borrow until we are so over leveraged that we can't stand up straight. Take for instance the investment banking firms that are failing - that this whole stupid crisis is about - they borrow on a 30 to 1 ratio. 30 TO 1!!!!! Geeze... for every dollar they have in assets, they have 30 dollars in debt. The sad part is that their "sure" $1 dollar of assets were backed by mortgages. Big duh there - mortgages that were financed by people who wanted to make more money (greed - see a theme here) to people who had no idea nor had any business buying a house at the rates they did. When I hear that people have a mortgage payment of 1200 a month but only have an income of 1400 a month tells me that we had the wealthy brilliant taking advantage of the poor stupid.

Why run a business so leveraged? Greed. All greed... you can make a buttload of money when you are that leveraged, which led to more greed and more money. See... we as consumers continue to demand that our 401k and stocks gain 10%+ per year, these companies have to come up with creative ways to get a 10% return. They do that by leverage - and lots of prayers that what they are leveraging against, your house and my house, doesn't fail. The people who need to be punished isn't just the stupid companies that sold the mortgages, but us - consumers - for our continually escalating greed. Until America changes it's tune, which will likely only happen in a serious recession or depression, we will continue to balloon in our credit markets and mortgage markets. Our credit cards will keep inflating, and our 2nd and 3rd mortgages. Our upside-down over trimmed, leather seated, chrome rimmed cars, and finally our fancy Alien ware PC's. Wait - strike that last one.

Anyhow, you get the drift. Until America bridles it's passion for greed, we will continue to have problems like this. The FRS attempts to keep the cycle alive, but without it I believe the problems would be much worse. The US we know today wouldn't be nearly as advanced, and we certainly wouldn't be the superpower we are. We will always have the rich brilliant attempting to take advantage of the poor stupid. At least with the FRS today we have the ability, albeit not perfect for sure, to try to keep a level playing field so people like StrongMad won't take advantage of us every chance he can. Sorry Strong - you are an innocent victim in this analogy - although I am sure BigD has something to say about that. :)
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Amazingly enough you touched on what I was about to post in the RP thread but decided not to.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I have to add that the greed was not only encouraged by the government, it was helped along.
We the people should have said "enough is enough" long ago.
There was a time when the government made it illegal for the companies to charge the interest rates they now get away with. Usury was a punishable crime. Now, its common practice and allowed because immoral politicians changed the laws. These laws are no longer being passed for the protection of the people, but for the protection of the corporations. And of course it is still the common theme you mentioned...greed.
Now with umemployment rising again, home forclosures at record highs,with or without just cause, sub par loans, etc,etc, spending mass amounts of money on a war we should'nt be in ( sorry, that is my opinion, and I know it's not a popular one) our corporations sending jobs overseas ( Alcoa announced today they were closing 2 factories here ) our president comes in and tells us we are in a financial crisis.
All I can say is...well duh!
I may have an idealized concept of how great our country used to be compared to how it is now. I remember when America was not only called a super power, but it was well respected around the free world. My sadness is that my generation has thrown that away for greed and I hope it's not too late to regain the stature we once had.

Oh yeah, how can we expect the population to have fiscal responsibility when our government doesn't? They should be leading by example.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Here here, Maj. I can toast to that. I can tell from personal experience traveling to many other countries, we as Americans are considered as arrogant as our president which just sucks considering just a few short years ago we were considered a generous people to look for as an example. I think those days are gone - IMO, I believe the depression and WWII humbled the people of this country. They were lean years, but I think we as a people showed our best side. Now, those who lived during that era are going or gone, and are now considered old fashioned relics, and we "as a people" have become greedy and prideful. Not a good combination.

Get this... the main reason why I can't stand our president is epitomized in this video. Arrogant, two sided prick.

MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Bye bye WaMu. Wonder who is next.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Majik » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:53 am

I was reading about that this morning. Sadly enough, it was the one bank that seemed to care a bit about its customers. It may have just been great advertising and PR< but its ads always impressed me.......all the services for free, they didn't nickle and dime you over every little thing. ( at lesat thats how the ads made it appear to me ).
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Ardor of Opinion