Jerry...oh Jerry

Share your viewpoint - politics and policy: the good, the bad, and the politicians.
Forum rules
The rules are simple: you may not agree, but you can agree to disagree. Vehement altercations will not be tolerated. If you don't know what that means, pull out the old Webster. If you are still struggling, this forum isn't for you.

Jerry...oh Jerry

Postby pesetas » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Well that 82 year old hater, Jerry Lewis, has gone and done it again. He uttered the "f*g" word again. Shame, shame Jerry. Now he's gone and pissed off the GLAAD folks again.

All I can say is...

Who really cares? I don't know or care if the gay/lesbian community has a derogatory word for heterosexuals. I don't care if they have that word printed on t-shirts and wear them during their next parade.

...Jerry...YOU SAY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT! I love ya man (in a purely heterosexual way of course)...

:ROFL:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Re: Jerry...oh Jerry

Postby Majik » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:22 pm

I'm with you Pes. I am so sick and tired of "political correctness". Something that a lot of people don't understand is that the only power any words have over you is the power you give them.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StrongMAD » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:28 pm

If he'd dropped the N word would you say the same thing? Sometimes a word is a symbol of hatred, repression, violence. Through language we create an association in the minds of others - calling something bad "gay" for example - and this creates a negative attachment for others around us when considering those words. If a word that describes you becomes negatively associated you feel shame in your self description, as though something is wrong with you, and other people believe that something is wrong with you since you are associated with that word - it creates a social stigma. Past examples are usually ethnic or racial - calling Italians "wops" for example or "beaner" for or kike etc etc.

Yes - we should all get over the individual cases of this kind of thing. But it is indicative of a deep underlying problem - that a group of people are being systematically repressed by the way language is used and that's simply unacceptable. As a member of the majority, of course you don't feel the way the minority do, but imagine that your name came synonymous with a sexually transmitted disease or other unwanted quality - then you'd be upset about the terminology as it would come to define you outside of your own control.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby pesetas » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Yes Strong, I would hold my stance on this one. Here's why...

I grew up in El Paso, Tx. El Paso is close to 90% hispanic. I am not hispanic and was prolly referred to by every negative name associated with anglos you could imagine. I don't hate hispanics but believe me I threw out my share of beaner and spic every time I was assaulted with cracker, wasp, etc. I even became proficient in Spanish and really like the culture...for the most part.

So...although I would probably choose to refrain from stating the f*g word on Australian television or during the telethon like poor, misguided Jerry has done twice now...I have to wonder how many times those same fags have referred to Jerry as a kike.

So, to quote Majik-

"I'm with you Pes. I am so sick and tired of "political correctness". Something that a lot of people don't understand is that the only power any words have over you is the power you give them".

I think the people on this planet have made more hate by drawing so much attention to poor Jerry uttering the unspeakable f*g....

By the way...you'll notice that the filter on our very forums will filter f*g but doesn't filter kike or spic or cracker which are words also commonly associated with hate. Let's what it does with the N word. Just as I thought. An even stronger warning not to use racism. Fair?
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:50 pm

I don't think any one of us would ever advocate using racist remarks or derogatory words, but the fact that everyone gets in such an uproar about it is exactly what gives those words power. I could write a long post about the subject, but i'm not going to.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Your Hero Jed » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:58 am

Whoa now Maj, I make racist remarks on a daily basis. My wife is Italian and i call her Dago regularly. I do think it is always interesting to find out where the terms originated. Sometimes you see they weren't all that bad originally, but some how got too much power. Kinda like some presidential candidates.
Fresh out of batteries, but we're still making noise.Image
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Postby Majik » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:00 pm

Your Hero Jed wrote:Whoa now Maj, I make racist remarks on a daily basis. My wife is Italian and i call her Dago regularly. I do think it is always interesting to find out where the terms originated. Sometimes you see they weren't all that bad originally, but some how got too much power. Kinda like some presidential candidates.

Well if she's Italian I bet she beats you up every day after you call her that! We heard about those hot blooded Italain women,you lucky dog!
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Ardor of Opinion