NASA

Share your viewpoint - politics and policy: the good, the bad, and the politicians.
Forum rules
The rules are simple: you may not agree, but you can agree to disagree. Vehement altercations will not be tolerated. If you don't know what that means, pull out the old Webster. If you are still struggling, this forum isn't for you.

NASA

Postby pesetas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:44 pm

I was going to post an article about a $100k tool bag that NASA lost during a space walk but I don't want to be beat up by THOSE guys again...
:DOH: :UmmmHmm:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Re: NASA

Postby Majik » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:19 pm

I think I see it in the sky every 24-36 hours
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BigD » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm

:ROFL: :Smokin:
BigD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby MacK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Thats OK Pes - I was going to post an article about a crashed F/A-18 worth $54.7 million dollars because of a faulty fuel line that hadn't been repaired for 146 sorties since it had been identified as a serious problem, but decided that you might feel like I was beating up on you. :ROFL: :DOH:
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby pesetas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 pm

Nice :ROFL:

However if my calculations are correct the F18 (depending on the variant) comes in at $1540 per pound. The tool bag comes in at $3300 per pound. Oh and the tool bag doesn't fire ordinance at our enemies... :Balloon:
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby StrongMAD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:48 pm

I don't know, Pes, those tools might just take out a russian satellite or two...
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby pesetas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:12 pm

StrongMAD wrote:I don't know, Pes, those tools might just take out a russian satellite or two...

Touche'...really good to have you back Strong! :UmmmHmm:
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby pesetas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:54 pm

I know, I know...I'm a glutton for punishment. I thought I'd give Strongmad some ammunition since he just came back to us:

Here's a excerpt from an article about NASA being strapped for cash-

"NASA is charged with spotting most of the asteroids that pose a threat to Earth but doesn't have the money to complete the job, a federal report says.
That's because even though Congress assigned the space agency that mission four years ago, it never gave NASA the money to build the necessary telescopes, according to the report released Wednesday by the National Academy of Sciences."
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Falqon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 am

I read the article about not being able to identify the killer asteroids.

No offense, but why is that a big deal? Short of sending Bruce Willis a teary eyed Ben Affleck up to save us all it's not like we could do anything about it anyway. I mean if we're going to pay for funding to identify them shouldn't some funding first be directed to dealing with one?
Falqon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Human Verification: 204

Postby pesetas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 pm

Good point falqon. I've seen programs on the Discovery channel about such things and I've seen the most logical proposal being to nudge the offender into another path. Or maybe that floating tool bag I mentioned earlier will bump into it... :ROFL:
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Falqon wrote:I read the article about not being able to identify the killer asteroids.

No offense, but why is that a big deal? Short of sending Bruce Willis a teary eyed Ben Affleck up to save us all it's not like we could do anything about it anyway. I mean if we're going to pay for funding to identify them shouldn't some funding first be directed to dealing with one?

You have a point - I would say you need to fund both objectives. One without the other is pointless. I would imagine though that we have the capability of dealing with one now by means of nuke's. I did read the other day that to-date we have blown up 19 large weapons in space (was reading some article about all the space junk out there). If this really were true, we can probably nuke an asteroid. Just gotta make sure that the trajectory math is correct on it, otherwise we are all SOL.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby *FDB*Jasper » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:14 am

I agree in advance science on a lot of things to keep this world a thriving one for a long time to come, How ever What dose a killer asteroid on the other side of our universe with the name of Dottie have to do with what is killing us here on earth today. I think if they are wanting millions and Billions of dollars to build a telescope, instead they should be working on a solution for all the pollution that we have in our air, something to filter out all the smog and produce cleaner air for us to breath in big cities where it is getting harder for some people to even go out side on some days when the weather beats them up the most, So yes think about the future and how to save us from what may be but with out a now who gives a d*** about an asteroid that we probably wont see in our lifetime.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It is about learning to dance in the rain."
*FDB*Jasper
Lackey
Lackey

Human Verification: 204

Postby StrongMAD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:01 am

Thus spake the dinosaurs. One asteroid and boom, no more dinosaurs. We've been hit by them before, they brought massive death and destruction, so being ready for them again is not too bad of an idea. Plus we got a whole bunch of medical advancement through the Apollo program - it might not be apparent what going to the moon has to do with heart disease at first, but anyone with a pacemaker better thank god we did it.

NASA funding isn't an either/or option. We can still fun pollution research (though the solution there lies as ever in prevention not cure) as well as many many other things. Hell, for the cost of the Iraq war we could have:

1) Fed every single person on the planet.
2) Guaranteed employment for every US citizen.
3) Built a manufacturing base on the moon
4) Developed the new technology necessary to ensure that the economy of the future is based here, not in China

falq: The problem isn't seeing them, it's seeing them far enough out to do something about it easily. Catch them early enough and a well placed fart could save us from impact.
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby MacK » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:23 am

Totally agree on the Iraq war commentary Strong. What a freaking huge waste of dollars and reputation. Sorry... I am just so pissered about Bush still. He drove our country into the ground.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StrongMAD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 am

For me, Mack, that pales in comparison to the loss of life, on both sides and the hundreds of thousands of civilians caught in the middle. I know we're simply talking about money here, but the people involved should never be forgotten.
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Return to Ardor of Opinion