Whats in the water in South carolina?

Share your viewpoint - politics and policy: the good, the bad, and the politicians.
Forum rules
The rules are simple: you may not agree, but you can agree to disagree. Vehement altercations will not be tolerated. If you don't know what that means, pull out the old Webster. If you are still struggling, this forum isn't for you.

Whats in the water in South carolina?

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:41 pm

First the governor goes to meet his Mistress and now an elected representative calls the President a liar on national tv during a speech.
(This has nothing to do with whether you like the pres or don't , but with manners and dignity and respect)
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whats in the water in South carolina?

Postby StrongMAD » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:20 pm

Well, I think there are certainly times when it's appropriate to call the president a liar - eg Nixon. However, it would be nice to see some real debate on the issues rather than just grandstanding and soundbites...
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Strong, there can be a time AND place, but a decent man would not try to showboat during the presidents speech.
And that is what the guy was doing, trying to showboat. You're right, Nixon was a liar,of that there is no doubt,but that was back in the day where people still had manners.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StrongMAD » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Ah, I thought you were just talking about his address on TV later. I also sometimes forget that the protocol here is different - heckling during politicians' speeches is basically a national passtime in the UK. Calls of 'shame' and 'liar' were pretty common whenever Blair (our PM at the time) tried to make the case for war in Iraq, for example.
*FDB*Loki - Couldn't hit a planet at close range...
StrongMAD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:54 pm

Yes, thats true, and I have to admit, I was always in awe of the decorum during his talks. I used to watch him on the local PBS station,thats Public Broadcasting Station, but I'm sure you know that. I also like how they would come up to the railing and shout something, then go back to their seat. But as you said, things are different here. No wonder our country is going to hell in a handbasket when we have no leaders to look up to.

By the way, I feel this way about other venues too.
For example, Americas Got Talent.
Every act does NOT deserve a standing ovation. But Americans dont understand that anymore.
And the Judges shouldn't be hecked,even though Peirs(sp?) is the only one that actually does any judging of talent.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BigD » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Rep. Joe Wilson will be getting whats comeing to him. All he did was make an a** of him self and make his party appear ignorant....well.... :OneEye:
:Smokin:
BigD
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:24 pm

I tell ya Big D, there is something in the water, I'm getting worred about Pes!
Here is another story about South Carolina I just saw!
http://news.aol.com/article/south-carolina-man-buried-in-1973/663072
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cpt_Obvious » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:50 pm

Majik wrote:I tell ya Big D, there is something in the water, I'm getting worred about Pes!
Here is another story about South Carolina I just saw!
http://news.aol.com/article/south-carolina-man-buried-in-1973/663072

What a waste of perfectly good guns.
HK, because you suck, and we hate you.
Cpt_Obvious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Human Verification: 204

Postby MacK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 pm

You know, I tend to be pretty middle of the road when it comes to politics, historically a little more toward the Republicans, but not much. Lately though, starting obviously with Bush, I have become a little ashamed of our Republican party. I hope that they loose all of the seats just in hopes that we get new, smarter blood in their shoes. I mean, is it just me, or have these stupid political stalemates really become a big fad lately? These guys just love to make fools of themselves.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby Aunt Jemima » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:42 am

MacK wrote:You know, I tend to be pretty middle of the road when it comes to politics, historically a little more toward the Republicans, but not much. Lately though, starting obviously with Bush, I have become a little ashamed of our Republican party. I hope that they loose all of the seats just in hopes that we get new, smarter blood in their shoes. I mean, is it just me, or have these stupid political stalemates really become a big fad lately? These guys just love to make fools of themselves.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

>SELECT * FROM tblUsers WHERE clue > 0
0 rows returned

"It's easier to be terrified by an enemy you admire."
Thufir Hawat to Feyd-Rautha
Aunt Jemima
Pink Collar
Pink Collar

Human Verification: 204

Postby Majik » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:06 am

NOt South Carolina related, but an example of behavior we can do without.
http://johnthrasher.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/serena-williams-cusses-out-line-judge-loses-semifinal/

This is a role model?
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am

I've held my tongue til now. Please DON'T get party specific on the shenanigans! Dems/Reps, all have had their share of scandals. More and more I dislike all politicians. Only reason we know so much about all this now a days is thanks to the internet. People used to not know or care about stuff they didn't read in the paper. Now, just fire up the net and it's all on there...

Just remember, we the people are the ones to blame for the narcisists we vote into office...
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Pes you are going to hate this but... while I totally agree that both sides have had their fair share of crap, I do think that honestly since the election Republicans have been sore losers. I certainly don't say that because I align with other parties. Generally I stay fairly party neutral, but if I HAD to align with a party, I would fall Republican, so I don't feel a bit bad about saying the following:

An outburst like this in a major presentation by the President was unprofessional and frankly reprehensible. Sadly, this isn't the only instance of poor and unprofessional behavior in the recent months by the party. Here is another:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =112281170

I heard this interview live on the way to work one morning. Frankly I was embarrassed to to even hear the interview. In the interview, Mr. Steele just doesn't have his crap together. His logic was flawed and honestly I am ashamed that he is the chairman of the party. He was combative when he should have been cool. His argument was terribly flawed and so inconsistent that I came away more confused about his stance on the issue than anything. The fallout from this interview was huge - staunch Republicans got their panties in a wad because the interviewer was aggressive, but frankly, even if the interviewer was aggressive, someone in his party position should have kept his cool under pressure. If a party leader can't keep his/her cool, then how can I ever feel comfortable with them being in leader in this country? If this is what we have to look forward to in terms of Republican leadership, then it will be the Democrats that hold Congress and the Presidency. I don't expect any sort of Republican majority or Presidency until the party has leaders that can hold their cool under pressure. This was wasn't leadership – this was an embarrassment.

As for not mentioning one party or another, the beauty of this forum is to do just that!! :pokeyaeye:
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Well then lets mention how the Kennedy Bros tag teamed Ms Monroe and IMO (and many others by the way) are most likely responsible for her death. Oh and another Kennedy, dear Ted, with his 6 months of suspended license he received in connection with Ms Kopechne's death which could have not only been avoided but she could have been saved after the "accident". Ah and my personal favorite, Bill Clinton, who absolutely "did not have sexual relations with that woman". I do think the democratic death toll is higher than the republicans when it comes to covering up debauchery.

We could go on and on with both parties shenanigans but what it boils down to is not which party they were affiliated with but who effed who and the extent they went to cover it up.

I'm not particularly proud of being a republican at the moment nor do I think I'd be particularly proud of being a democrat either.

That's why I suggested that we don't pick on any particular party but that we pick on politicians in general.

I think if it wasn't so fricken cold in Montana I'd move up there and join what's left of the free men and just say to hell with our system of "democracy".

Now as for calling our president a liar during a spastic outburst...bad judgment. Almost as bad as the president condemning a cop for making a lawful arrest...eh?
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:05 pm

I think I had intentionally not mentioned party lines for several reasons, one, one of respect to Pes and two as mentioned neither party is squeaky clean and thirdly, I would hate to have politics come between any of us as friends.
That said, if we are going to talk Kennedys and theories, where is Spooky when we need him??

I am not peticularly proud of either party, but I do think what the rep from SC did deserves being tossed out of his seat.
I do not think everyone has to respect the man, but they sure as damn well should respect the position.

I hate to give myself a title as dem or pub, when asked I usually tell people I am am American.
And a damn proud one at that.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pesetas » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:14 am

I agree with you Majik about respecting the position however I like to see my politicians passionate about their beliefs. If Mr Wilson's outburst was any indication of this man's passion concerning the HUGE problem of illegal immigration...then I stand by him.
- Sun Tzu

pesetas
Master
Master

Postby Majik » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:24 am

Pes, I am also just as passionate about the illegal immigrant problem. So passionate that those that don't know me call me a hater,and I'm not.

But there is a big difference between being passionate and mannerless. The man was a grandstander who doesn't know his facts.
While I have not read the bill, its rediculously over 1000 pages, no where have intelligent people found where it says that illegals are going to get free healthcare. As a elected representative it is his responsibility to actually KNOW what the thing he is voting for or against actually says and not fuel the files of liars.

So sorry, republican or democrat , and individual, especially an elected representative of the people, has no business ever acting like that.
There is a time and a place for everything, and if he wants to make a point like that, he should choose wisely. As I said before, if he was my representative I would have been calling for his removal of office the next morning. You want the citizens of the country to have high standards, then the representatives need to have them too.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MacK » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:32 am

Guys - you are missing the point I was trying to make - and perhaps I should have said this first. While I totally agree that the Dems, or any other party for that matter and politicians in general have a bad history of poor behavior, that is not what I am addressing. The linchpin of my argument is this: Republicans have taken a very unprofessional and poor leadership stance since the election, IMO. I am not saying that Democrats have done any better, but I am not analyzing Democrats - if I were, it would take a whole new long winded thread, because I haven't even gotten started on them. I am just irritated because I feel like Republican leadership continues to make fools of themselves in front of the public. It seems like the leadership today believes that outbursts and combative responses are more productive than a collaborative approach, which I entirely disagree with as do many Americans.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pixie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am

Hear Hear Mack!
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
-Jack Handey
Pixie
White Collar
White Collar

Postby Majik » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:43 am

Pixie wrote:Hear Hear Mack!

Nepotism at its finest!

Calm down, I'm just kidding.

From my view its never been about dems or pubs, but about getting America back on track.

And I will be the first to say I feel my generation needs to take responsibility for it getting so screwed up.
But they wont.

The generation after mine needs to get it back on track.
But they wont.

Whats really sad is that it mey be too late for the generation after that.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Ardor of Opinion