NASA

The bizarre and unexplained.

NASA

Postby mamamami » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:14 am

What is the name of the inscription that NASA puts on anything they send into outer space? I heard a couple of years ago that NASA puts a special inscription anything they send into outer space (satellites, space shuttles, etc.). It has information about Earth, such as that there are male and female humans, we have water and land on earth, and other basic information about our planet and the human race. Its purpose is to inform any form of life that comes in contact with the object to learn where it came from and who made it. Does anyone know where I can find more information about this? I might use it in a research project about outer space.
Last edited by mamamami on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamamami
Cog
Cog

Human Verification: 263

Re: NASA

Postby {OF}MillerTime » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:15 am

check this...

The Pioneer Plaques and the Voyager Golden Record are probably the most famous of the objects you're referring to. They were sent with the Pioneer and Voyager probes, respectively, when they were launched. The Pioneer Plaque shows male and female humans and various information about the vehicle and Earth. The Voyager Golden Record (which I think is cooler, but I'm also a Carl Sagan fan) contains much more information, such as music, vocal greetings, sounds of Earth, and other information about us. However, its contents will probably be completely indecipherable by any alien species, so it's more of a cosmic time capsule than a real message intended for aliens.
Source(s):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_Golden_Record
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque
{OF}MillerTime
Lackey
Lackey

Return to Area 51