So while playing

The bizarre and unexplained.

So while playing

Postby Your Hero Jed » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:04 pm

Comand and Conquer Kane's Wrath and then tonight CSS My computer just randomly shuts down. After about ten min. in all the sound stops then it gets choppy, then it just powers down all together. Any ideas? :incinerate: :icon20:
Fresh out of batteries, but we're still making noise.Image
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Re: So while playing

Postby Majik » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Course I'd say check memory,then ps, then possible overheating.
Majik
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Your Hero Jed » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:21 am

I'm leaning towards mem cuz it's only when gaming that it happens. Usually i'm only in about 2gigs of ram then when gaming i break into the 3rd and maybe 4th so it could be.
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Postby pesetas » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 am

I'd update drivers first. Then a general cleaning of all your crap...
"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him"
- Sun Tzu

...1500+ and still spamming...
pesetas
Master
Master

Postby MacK » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:57 am

Well, from a technical standpoint, I think your hardware is shot. You should send it to me so I can properly dispose of it. ;)

Most times I have seen similar symptoms, it was related to overheating or parts going bad. I would start by opening the sucker up and playing with the case off. That way you can partially eliminate heat trouble. From there, if it keeps happening, and all connections are tight, I would suspect video failure followed by motherboard, ram or cpu. Those are a little more difficult to test if you don't have swappable parts.

Oh, and the other thing I have seen that could be causing the problem is too little power. To test this, start disconnecting non-critical devices and looking for a threshold where it fails.

One more thing to take into account is this: Look to see if the PC fails while in bios. If you can get it to fail there, then you at least know it isn't software related, and may be able to make other deductions as well, such as heat or power may be causing it.
Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am, But as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, bad as I am.
MacK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Human Verification: 8

Postby Your Hero Jed » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Yeah it's running fine when i leave it on all day but when i get a game going that's when it happens.
Your Hero Jed
Big Cheese
Big Cheese

Return to Area 51